Workers' Compensation Blog

Compensation Word Group

What You Need to Know About Federal Workers’ Compensation Benefits

Dallas Medical Clinic Serving Injured Federal Workers

If you are a federal worker, you are likely covered by the Department of Labor’s Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (OWCP). In the event of a job-related injury or illness, the OWCP will help you with a number of issues, including:

  • Wage replacement
  • Medical treatment
  • Vocational rehabilitation

But, how do you access these benefits after an accident, injury, or illness, and how do you know if you are eligible for benefits? In this article, we will answer some basic questions about the Federal Employee’s Compensation Act (FECA) and federal workers’ compensation.

Who has federal workers’ compensation benefits as defined by FECA?

All employees of the United States government who are civilians can file a claim through OWCP. Both full-time and part-time workers qualify.

In addition to federal workers, FECA has also made special provisions for:

  • Peace Corps volunteers
  • VISTA volunteers
  • Federal petit and grand jurors
  • Volunteer members of the Civil Air Patrol
  • Reserve Officer Training Corps cadets
  • Job Corps enrollees
  • Neighborhood Youth Corps enrollees
  • Youth Conservation Corps enrollees

What must you prove in your federal workers’ compensation claim?

In order to receive benefits, a worker must prove that he or she was involved in an accident, and that the accident led directly to an injury. The worker must also prove that he or she was performing a duty or task at the time of the accident, and that there is medical evidence backing up these facts. Finally, the worker must be considered a federal worker as defined by FECA and file a claim within the timelimit.

How long do you have to file a federal workers’ compensation claim?

You must file a claim within three years of the incident that caused injury. You may take longer than three years to file a claim if you gave written notice of the injury within 30 days of its occurrence or if the federal government had knowledge of the incident and injury within 30 days.

Do I need a Texas workers’ compensation lawyer to file my claim?

You are not required to have a lawyer in order to file a federal workers’ comp claim. However, if your claim is rejected, or if you are not sure whether you have a valid claim, you may wish to speak with a workers’ comp lawyer and get professional legal assistance for your case.

Our Dallas Medical Clinic for Injured Federal Workers

If you are an injured federal worker, it is important to file a claim with the Department of Labor so that you can receive financial support, medical treatment, and vocational rehabilitation as needed. However, it is also vital to get medical assistance as soon as possible after your injury so that you can begin your recovery and take steps back toward health. The Work Injury MD clinic offers a full range of treatments from physical therapy to surgery, and we are committed to helping all workers get back on their feet and back to work.

To schedule a visit with our physician, to ask a question about your federal worker injury, or to learn more about our clinic, please contact us today.